[c-nsp] Cisco Nexus 5548UP w/Fibre Channel

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists lists at hojmark.org
Thu May 24 17:21:54 EDT 2012

On Thu, 24 May 2012 20:30:40 +0000, you wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone has any experience/tips/advice when running
> Fibre Channel on the Nexus 5548UP platform.

Yeah, we have customers doing that and do that ourselves.

> I've done a little bit of research, and understand that the FC ports
> have to start at the back end of the chassis, and that to switch a
> port from Ethernet mode over to FC mode, you need to reload the whole
> switch.

Yeah, currently the ports have to be contiguous, and with FC at the
high end. If you use a module, you don't have to reload the whole
switch when changing the configuration. You can just reset the module.
When running FCoE, you don't have to reset/reload anything.

To me, FC and FCoE on the N5000s is pretty mature and absolutely
production ready.

-A