[c-nsp] m-vpn

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue May 29 11:11:27 EDT 2012

On 29/05/12 15:55, Aaron wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I've read through Chapter 7 of "MPLS and VPN Architectures Volume II"
> regarding Multicast VPN.
>

> I never saw any mention of enabling the ipv4 mdt address family under bgp.
> Is this ipv4 mdt af something altogether different than what is spoken of in
> the book ?  .or did I totally miss something in that chapter about the ipv4
> mdt af being implicitly enable somehow.
>

> I'm just trying to accomplish mcast over my mpls L3VPN.  This will be for my

draft-rosen, yes?

> high capacity mcast for catv for all my catv subscribers.  2-3 gbps
> sustained 24x7.  A couple different pe/ce will xmit and a couple different
> pe/ce will rcv.  I'd prefer to use ssm cause I don't wanna mess with rp's

In that case, you want the "mdt" SAFI under the BGP stanza,
appropriately route-reflected.

The "mdt" SAFI basically lets you discover other PEs in the MVPN. This
is not necessary with ASM MVPN groups as the *,g tree allows discover.

This was accomplished in earlier versions of IOS using so-called type-2
RDs, but the MDT SAFI replaces that (and is in turn replaced in NG-MVPN)

> and sup-optimal routing to and from rp and single point of failure on rp (so
> I don't wanna mess with redundant rp either if I can simply do ssm)

SSM works fine.

Just enable the "mft" SAFI. I only holds one route per PE/MVPN combo.