[c-nsp] WLSM, what's it good for?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Fri Nov 2 09:44:10 EDT 2012

We have a legacy wireless network based on 1120, 1121 and 1131 access
points (320 total) and a set of WLSM cards (WS-SVC-WLAN-1-K9). It's
about to be replaced with a Trapeze network, but until then we're stuck
supporting it.

All APs are autonomous and have a few bridged SSIDs and a few tunnelled
SSIDs. The tunnels terminate in a multipoint GRE interface on the 6500s
with the WLSMs. All SSIDs are either open or using

WLSM is of course unsupported after SXF and we'd like to upgrade the
supervisors to what we use everywhere else. Replacing the WLSM with a
WiSM is not an option, we're already planning to replace the entire
network.

As far as I can tell, the WLSM is supposed to provide WDS services and
enables "fast secure L3 roaming" when using certain authentication
types. We don't use L3 roaming, having all relevant VLANs span the
entire network already.

Basically I'm wondering if we can just turn of the WLSMs and what would
happen if we did. Can a network like this function without WDS? Does the
WLSM perform any other critical functions than WDS? Does the multipoint
GRE tunnels depend on something from the WLSM? My guess is that turning
off the WLSMs does nothing since all APs are autonomous. (Using AP based
WDS sounds like something that doesn't scale by the way.)

We're aware that the WLSM (together with a WLSE server) collects a bunch
of useful statistics, but we're willing to lose this.

Any input appreciated. :-)

--
Peter