[c-nsp] IPv6 SLAAC on P2P or QinQ subints

Tim Densmore tdensmore at tarpit.cybermesa.com
Tue Nov 6 15:33:27 EST 2012

Hi Folks,

Just a quick sanity check.  I'm in the early stages of planning customer
IPv6 deployment and am trying to figure out how I'm going to deliver
SLAAC over P2P (ATM specifically) and QinQ interfaces for DSL or
similar, in non-PPP scenarios.

When I started poking around, it became apparently quickly that "ipv6
unnumbered loopbackN" wouldn't work since loopbacks apparently
can't/won't send RAs, and this would break DAD in any event, or at least
make is useless.  Digging around, the recommendations I've seen are to
simply apply a static /64 to each subint.  This seems absurdly
cumbersome, even if using general-prefix.  Am I missing something here
or am I "stuck in ipv4 mode?"  Can anyone point me to a better way to
handle this?

My primary concern isn't wasting /64s, it's keeping track of assigned
/64s both in configs and in our customer records.

Thanks for any input,

TD