[c-nsp] Nexus 7K NX-OS Upgrade

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Wed Nov 7 10:20:52 EST 2012

At 06:05 AM 11/7/2012, Pete Templin mused:
>On 11/7/12 6:02 AM, Alexander Lim wrote:
>
>>Do you know what caused the 3 secs blip? How can Cisco claims that
>>it is non-disruptive then?
>>Thanks for sharing.
>
> From what I've learned from others, the 'install all' unpacks the
> new files which run the processes, and then the processes are
> stopped/started.  The blip aligns with the card that's actively
> being upgraded, as shown by the 'install all' or 'show install all
> status' if run on another login session/console.

There are no software processes that affect hardware/data plane
forwarding, any process can be statefully restarted without impacting
data flow (in theory, ignoring bugs). We do claim it is
non-disruptive and we can easily demonstrate that and have many times.

It is unexpected and not per design to lose data traffic during an
ISSU, provided you are ISSU'ing to/from supported releases (as per
the ISSU matrix in the user documentation), all your data traffic is
being hardware switched, and assuming no software defects (such as
the specific one cited earlier in the thread).

2 cents,
Tim

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Distinguished Technical Marketing Engineer, Cisco Nexus 7000
Cisco - http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759