[c-nsp] IPv6 SLAAC on P2P or QinQ subints

Tim Densmore tdensmore at tarpit.cybermesa.com
Wed Nov 7 11:11:46 EST 2012

On 11/7/2012 12:51 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> I think you need to elaborate what "this" is.

Sorry.  Considering the number of "use /126 or /127 on P2P links"

My aim here is to allow CPE, or CPE-connected devices to "pull" IPs via
SLAAC, with DHCP-PD being a possible end-goal, but one that will require
forklifting thousands of DSL modems and/or NAT routers.

Currently for most v4 DSL subscribers, we use "ip unnumbered" pointing
towards a loopback that functions as the gateway and use DHCP or host
routes or radius to assign IPs.  This config appears impossible using
v6, since loopbacks don't send RAs, and DAD wouldn't work with multiple
isolated P2P links all IPd from the same /64 in any case.  Basically,
I'm looking for a way to send non-link-local RAs down ATM P2P subints,
and dot1q qinq subints.

What's BCP for this scenario?

Thanks!

TD