[c-nsp] 6506-E vs 7606-S

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Nov 7 16:49:53 EST 2012

On 07/11/2012 20:09, Peter Kranz wrote:
> Other than the form factor difference between these two chassis, is there
> any particular reason to select one over the other?
>
> Planning on running 2 VS-S2T-10G-XL sups, and 2 WS-6908-10G-2T 8 port 10G
> cards.. Full BGP routes to two peers..

if this is a new purchase, and depending on your needs, you may want to
consider an ASR9k instead.  Also, you will gain much more redundancy and
reliability by running a single SUP in two chassis rather than dual SUP in
a single chassis..

Otherwise, the 7600 chassis will take SR code, which is aimed at
smart/expensive routing, while the 6500 chassis will take SX code, which is
aimed at less smart/ less expensive routing+switching.  I'm not really
convinced that the SUP2t is the best choice for a plain old transit router
these days.  ASR9k looks like a much better bet, and if you don't need that
many ports, the ASR9001 is very favourably priced when compared to the
6500/7600.

Nick