[c-nsp] 7200VXR G2 performance

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Thu Nov 8 15:32:15 EST 2012

On 08/11/2012 20:17, David Farrell wrote:
> Only today I was taking Nick's approach to eeking out 2 x 7204s w/ G2s for
> a few more weeks. I removed them from the DFZ and tore down around 120
> direct peering BGP sessions. We now send them 8 prefixes each, including
> default. TBH, this has had a negligible impact so I await the arrival of
> ASR1ks to replace these. That's said, there are some intense ACLs on the
> high traffic interfaces which could be rationalised somewhat. If there is
> time I might have a bash at this.

I should have said that the list was in order of priority.  If you can
remove customers and traffic, you can bring down the load without reducing
functionality.  Everything else involves a functionality / smartness
compromise.

But yeah, an npe-g2 has a limited amount of steam.  Once you've run out,
that's kinda it.

Nick