[c-nsp] Spanning Tree help sought

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Nov 15 11:36:41 EST 2012

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012, Christopher Gray wrote:

> On reading your response - and used the links you suggested - I note that I
> could just leave everything as default and let STP sort itself out.

You could...but you really should dictate which switches are the root
bridge and backup root bridge.  Additionally, do not attempt to disable
STP on any ports unless you really know what you're doing and can
guarantee that nobody who doesn't will ever be able to plug anything into
those ports.  Bridge loops are a major PITA, and quickly overload things
to the point that you may not be able to do anything to troubleshoot other
than start physically unplugging things until you "make it stop".