[c-nsp] sup2t XL with non XL linecards

. . raincity23 at cosmo.com
Wed Nov 21 21:23:18 EST 2012

Hi,

If we have a 6500 with a Sup2T XL (VS-S2T-10G-XL) that is doing BGP with full
tables (so ~400k routes), does that mean all line cards must be XL as well? The
FAQ here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/qa_c67-362061.html

seems to indicate yes:

Q. What happens if I mix DFC4 and DFC4XL in the same chassis? Is this supported?

A. Yes, this is supported. When mixing DFC4 and DFC4XL, the system will operate
in lower common denominator mode. This means that it will operate in PFC4 mode
to match the lesser capabilities of the DFC4. The consequences of this are that
the larger FIB, ACL, and NetFlow tables of the DFC4XL will not be utilized as
they will need to be programmed to match the smaller DFC4 tables for consistency
within the chassis. See the Cisco IOS® Software Release 12.2(50)SY notes for
further details (Put the URL).

However, unclear if that is just with mixing linecards, or includes the
supervisor as well.

The linecard will just be doing l2 switching, and any l3 that needs the routes
will be going to the supervisor, that's fine, just don't want the supervisor to
fall back to non XL mode.

Thanks!

--
This e-mail was brought to you by Cosmo Mail
http://www.cosmo.com/