[c-nsp] sup2t XL with non XL linecards

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Nov 23 03:25:51 EST 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 06:09:23AM +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2012, Aled Morris wrote:
>
> >Once you get into multiple-10G and full routing tables you are
> >stretching the old 6500.  You should really be looking at ASR9k.
>
> This is a good question. Why is someone buying 6500/7600 when there is
> ASR9k? The ASR9k doesn't have copper ports, so that might be one thing.

6748GE-TX comes to mind, indeed :-)

One of the reasons why we're likely to keep buying 6500 for a while
longer is the tremendous flexibility of the architecture (10 Mbit copper
to 10GE, you can do all of it in one box if needed), the low costs, and
that we *know* the platform - we know it's warts and ugly corner cases,
and IOS on 6500 is really solid now.

We do not need "100Gbit/s or more" throughput - we're talking about the
5Gbit/s...20Gbit/s range today, and growing slowly.  So we do not need
more horsepower than the 6500 has.

(Yes, there are drawbacks, like IPv6 uRPF, netflow tcam, etc - so we'll
most certainly not buy Sup720-3Bs anymore, and quite likely no 3Cs either.
EARL8 *should* fix these drawbacks...)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de