[c-nsp] URPF MAC check

Tóth András diosbejgli at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 09:29:00 EST 2012

I don't see the benefit because L2 address is only visible until your
next-hop, it does not validate the original sender which might be several
hops away. Also, MAC addresses are easily spoofable.

DoS attacks? Most often come from a spoofed source IP, so why wouldn't they
spoof the MAC as well (in case it's a DoS coming from a directly connected
network)? If coming from directly connected network, you can just consult
netflow/interface stats to see where is it coming from.

Additionally this would break HSRP which is certainly not common in IX
environments, but in theory having the virtual MAC in your ARP table would
cause legitimate traffic coming from the physical MAC being dropped.

Andras