[c-nsp] URPF MAC check

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Nov 23 10:26:40 EST 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 03:15:04PM +0000, Aled Morris wrote:
> The use-case I was imagining was an IX.  For any given peer, I know which
> source addresses I can expect from them because they are advertised to me
> via BGP for the return path.

You can't.

Imagine a customer behind your peer A and peer B, sending his traffic
via peer A, but for whatever reason you only see the announcement via
peer B (like "the customer set a do-not-announce-to-IXP C" community
because B's port is full).

BGP routing is *not* symmetric.  Please repeat this 100 times.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de