[c-nsp] Dell switches (specifically PowerConnect 7048P) and Ciscos

Kell, Jeff Jeff-Kell at utc.edu
Mon Nov 26 22:40:31 EST 2012

We're doing an eval on some PowerConnect 7048P switches, and have run into spanning tree issues.  They don't like PVST, but will spit out STP that "in theory" will revert a Cisco to STP (is this process contagious?  or limited to the upstream?).

That unfortunately requires an untagged vlan 1 on all trunk ports (breaks our standards and would require a mass reconfiguration).

You can also try MST if you want to convert (again, breaks our standards and would require a mass reconfiguration).

Otherwise they seem quite tolerable and have some attractive features...  but I'm not quite sold if it requires a campus-wide mass reconfiguration to get along with existing gear.

Jeff