[c-nsp] MST Experiences: was Re: Dell switches (specifically PowerConnect 7048P) and Ciscos

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Tue Nov 27 07:27:08 EST 2012

On 27/11/2012 9:30 PM, Phil Mayers wrote:
> Normally I'm not a big fan of "proprietary" protocols, but MST is so
> awesomely sucky for Campus environments ("map all your VLANs to
> instances before you start, and never change it" - yeah, right!) that we
> mandate Cisco compatible PVST in all our edge.

Wow.  I thought it was just me and my lack of MST experience that was
the problem when I've looked at migrating to MST - so it's reassuring to
know it isn't just me who had had a bad experience with it.  Even
starting by rolling it out at home on a small 4 switch (two vendor) in a
ring topology seemed relatively painful.  Most definitely far far more
pain than gain.  The thought of rolling it out to dozens of switches
across multiple states just doesn't bear thinking about.

The main thing that has attracted me to look at MST was the widespread
multivendor support for it.  The vlan-to-spanning-tree mapping concept
seems good in theory - but as Phil has said you really only get one shot
at getting it right.

What vendors, other than Cisco, support some form of Rapid-PVST?  I
believe Arista do on their switches - are there any others?  If it's
proprietary, did Arista license it from Cisco or...?  It seems so
patently obvious that PVST would be a smart idea, yet so few vendors
seem to support it.  What gives?

Reuben