[c-nsp] MST Experiences: was Re: Dell switches (specifically PowerConnect 7048P) and Ciscos

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Nov 27 19:05:55 EST 2012

As Gert says - I understand mst just fine, thanks. It's just completely unsuitable for our needs, and by the sound of it, others too.

It's also a solution looking for a problem. Even puny 600mhz cpu in sup720 can handle vast numbers of vports with no appreciable load, afaict.

I'm sure there are topologies in which mst is suitable - the designers can't have been idiots - but not any topology I've ever needed to run.

Nicolas KARP <liste at karp.fr> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>MST is a really good ***not*** proprietary protocol.. You just need to
>understand how it works and how you can interconnect your regions all
>together (not very straightforward I agree)
>
>If you just have independent Layer 2 area's, you can create something
>like
>that (on all your layer 2 domain)
>
>region area1 / area2 / area3 / ...
>instance 0 : no vlan (just used to avoid loop between regions)
>instance 1 : vlan 1 to 2050
>instance 2 : vlan 2051 to 4095
>
>root of instance 0 should be forced somewhere on your network.
>root of instance 1 will be core1 on each area
>root of instance 2 will be core2 on each area
>
>So if you do that, you just have to pick one vlan from the list
>(instance 1
>or instance 2) and that's it.
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Nicolas.

Sent from my mobile device, please excuse brevity and typos.