[c-nsp] MST Experiences: was Re: Dell switches (specifically PowerConnect 7048P) and Ciscos

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Nov 28 04:45:58 EST 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 11:13:02AM +0200, Saku Ytti wrote:
> But for completely other (numerous) reasons, we're ditching whole L2 and
> rocking MPLS end to end.

Yeah.  We see to it that our L2 STP domains are very small (if we can
avoid it, no more than 4-6 devices each), and we need to go cross-city,
it's EoMPLS instead of "STP + L2 all across the core".

But our business is very much different from yours - less customers, and
much more customized setups for each customer.  We *do* have VLAN assignment
conventions, and all that, of course :-) - but at least once a month we
need to do something that's an exception for some reason - and then I'm
quite happy not having to fiddle with MST vlan mapping.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de