[c-nsp] ME3800X In MPLS Core

Steven McCrory my_cisco_nsp at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 28 14:12:23 EST 2012

Hi Group,

I've been asked to help build a new MPLS core and I'm looking for opinions on using the ME3800X devices in the core.

Basically the core would be BGP-free and I'm considering the ME3800X due to its 10Gb capability, forwarding performance and attractive price. All the intelligence and feature application will be handled by PE routers so we'll be running a true PE/P network.

Are there any obvious caveats with using such a device as a P-node?

Also, we'll eventually need a 10Gb ring in each PoP and would appreciate pointers for 10Gb Layer 2 switches. Thoughts so far include the 4948E or 3750X for its stacking capability.

Thanks

James