[c-nsp] MST Experiences: was Re: Dell switches (specifically PowerConnect 7048P) and Ciscos

Randy randy_94108 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 16:10:23 EST 2012

my experience with FTOS is pre-Dell so things may have changed since.

FTOS- RSTP is a *single-instance* of spanning tree for all vlans - definitely not what I would deploy.
Cisco R-PVST is *per-vlan* and juniper, foundry, extreme do the same.

FTOS and Cisco PVST work fine
FTOS PVST and Cisco PVST+ work fine: just no benefit of rapid convergence via  uplink-fast or backbone-fast as in PVST+ for indirect link failures.

I believe the original question was about R-PVST so no, FTOS doesn't do that as far as I know.
./Randy