[c-nsp] MST Experiences: was Re: Dell switches (specifically PowerConnect 7048P) and Ciscos

Blake Dunlap ikiris at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 17:51:20 EST 2012

There are a variety of reasons I won't touch or recommend the Dell switch
gear. Some of which include lack of rpvst, horrible management interface
when trying to troubleshoot (try finding mac address tables, etc), poor
documentation (or even deliberate misinformation) of important specs like
buffer sizes and/or ASIC port mappings.

For a products claiming to be enterprise level, they are very poor devices.
They may slowly be getting better, but its pretty clear that they don't
take network hardware seriously. I'd never use them as anything more than a
desktop small office switch without some real changes apparent.

-Blake