[c-nsp] shutdown process on interfaces in cisco routers

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Oct 1 04:34:28 EDT 2012

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012, m s wrote:

> In cisco routers when we shutdown an interface how other routers
> understand this? My aim is that when tow routers are connected to each
> other and their interfaces are on the "protocol" parameter in "show ip
> interface brief" command is on and after one of interfaces be shutdown
> this parameter become off,I want to know that how this happen? Does any
> packets exchange? what packets? for example arp or cdp packets?

Generally the port is just turned off, and the other end is presumed to
understand to tear down all routing protocol sessions on that port.

I have feature requested to Cisco that when a port is shut down, all
routing protocols should be shut down gracefully before the port is turned
off. So basically "leave nicely" instead of "abruptly".

I encourage everybody else to do the same towards Cisco and other vendors.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se