[c-nsp] Sharing router uplinks?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Oct 1 09:30:01 EDT 2012

On Thursday, August 02, 2012 05:18:54 PM Wayne Tucker wrote:

> I've found that a lot of NMSs don't handle the shared
> segments well. Point to point links are easy to plot and
> monitor - both because they're 1:1 and because if your
> IGP does adjacencies you can monitor for neighbors != 1.

Agree, but it's a compromise between what your NMS complains
about and whether you can afford such a topology.

Imagine situations where some of the routers in the core are
busier than others, and with a point-to-point topology, you
have to provision multiple links (probably as LAG's) between
the core router and some edge routers, while the rest will
run as single or fewer links. And all the while, you have
certain ports on the core router that are heavily
underutilized.

The problem becomes worse if your PoP grows with a lot more
such devices. Perhaps you host a CDN, it's a video head end,
it's your only PoP so all customers terminate there, e.t.c.

Cheers,

Mark.