[c-nsp] layer 3 switch vs router....

Scott Voll svoll.voip at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 11:24:39 EDT 2012

Can anyone fill in the blanks for me?

We currently have MetroE connections to all our remote sites.  we use a
3845 at the core and 38xx or 28xx to all the remote sites.  Current
connections are >200mb.

Remote sites are Voice Routers, and do FW / IPSec VPN backup to the Core in
case of WAN failure.

If I move my remote site Routers back, and put a Layer 3 switch in front to
do the routing (wire speed) what will I lose?

Do I lose QoS flexiblity?

I should still be able to do my backup VPN with the current Router as it
only has about a 20mb backup link and will still be a routing peer.

Is there anything else I might loose by moving to a Layer 3 switch rather
than a 2951?

Any suggestions as to a Layer 3 switch to use?  3750x?  I only need 48 1
gig ports.  49xx? Other thoughts?

TIA

Scott