[c-nsp] removing VTP while keeping clan database in tact

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Oct 8 17:23:26 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-08 at 20:28 +0000, James Urwiller wrote:
> I am currently running VTP, but working on migrating to a platform
> that does not support it.  How can I remove VTP while keeping the
> current vlan database in tact??  Will "vtp-mode no"  do the trick?  I
> have been doing "vtp-mode transparent"  for some nodes, but have heard
> that can still cause issues with the vlan database.

Just issue "vtp mode transparent" or "vtp mode off". Both of these keep
the local VLAN database, moving it into running-config. The former means
the switch continues forwarding VTP datagrams, the latter does not.
Choosing between these is a question of temper.

I've personally been converting hundreds of switches like this when
taking over management of them with no problems at all. I never heard of
any VLAN database related problems.

--
Peter