[c-nsp] IOS archive in addition to RANCID

Michele Bergonzoni bergonz at labs.it
Wed Oct 10 03:47:20 EDT 2012

Il 10/10/2012 2.52, Ian Henderson wrote:

> * Having two methods ensures that if one method breaks, we still have useful logs/archives. This is particularly nice in our environment

I particularly appreciate this design principle.

Please consider doing a periodic SCP of important files which are
otherwise not backed up:

  - nvram:ifIndex-table, if you use ifindex persistency
  - flash:env_vars, for switches (as Matt pointed out)
  - flash:vlan.dat, if for some unlikely reason you use VTP

Rancid does a dir, so you can see (grep, etc) there if these files exist
on your switches.

Also please take the time to try to restore a device from the backup you
have: everybody can do a backup, but only the brave can actually restore.

Regards,
			Bergonz

--
Ing. Michele Bergonzoni - Laboratori Guglielmo Marconi S.p.a.
Phone:+39-051-6781926 e-mail: bergonz at labs.it
alt.advanced.networks.design.configure.operate