[c-nsp] IPv6 PE-CE

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Thu Oct 18 06:21:17 EDT 2012

Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> writes:

> Out of curiosity. Why are people choosing to run IGP in network borders?
> Link-state is complex, expensive and poorly manageable (in terms of
> filters/policies/route-map)

Do you need filters/policies/route-maps in a VRF? If a customer messes
up, they only take out their own VRF. OSPF in a VRF can be pretty much
hands-off. You do not even need to configure neighbors. The only problem
is if your customer sends you a million routes.

It would be great if someone came up with a zero-configuration solution
for BGP. I have seriously considered switching our default PE-CE routing
protocol to eBGP, but it ends up quite complicated.

OSPF may be expensive in theory, but in practice it performs well.

/Benny