[c-nsp] General BCP for ibgp maximum-paths to 0.0.0.0

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Oct 18 19:08:21 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:01:25PM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 18/10/2012 21:37, Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> > Any arguments for/against ip route 0 null0 ; router bgp x ; network 0 vs
> > ip route 0 null 0; router bgp x ; redistribute static vs some other
> > method?
>
> ip route + network statements duplicate configuration, which can lead to
> typos.  I prefer to inject using static redistribution.

And redistribution can lead to accidentally matching things you didn't mean
to match, which is usually a lot worse. If you have to ask, I personally
recommend erring on the side of caution and use an explicit network
statement. :)

But in this case it doesn't matter, because 0/0 is actually a special case
for IOS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/iproute/command/reference/ip2_n1g.html#wp1037042