[c-nsp] IPv6 first-hop redundancy: short-lived RA or FHRP?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Oct 23 13:23:09 EDT 2012

We're starting to deploy IPv6 in an access network and now we're
wondering if short-lived RAs or some first-hop redundancy protocol is
the best way to do things.

Using a Sup2T, we tried configuring 2048 interface with IPv6 using RA
lifetime of 12 seconds and RA interval of 4 seconds. Failover times of
12 seconds are adequate for this purpose. The CPU load is negligible and
the steady state packet rate doesn't seem to bother anything. It should
be comparable to HSRP regarding PPS.

I haven't tested failover times yet but it seems it should be okay
according to:

http://packetlife.net/blog/2011/apr/18/ipv6-neighbor-discovery-high-availability/

Any input on this? :-)

--