[c-nsp] IPv6 first-hop redundancy: short-lived RA or FHRP?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Oct 23 14:15:55 EDT 2012

On 23/10/12 18:33, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 23/10/2012 18:23, Peter Rathlev wrote:
>> We're starting to deploy IPv6 in an access network and now we're
>> wondering if short-lived RAs or some first-hop redundancy protocol is
>> the best way to do things.
>
> definitely first-hop redundancy rather than RAs.  IOS supports GLBP.  XR

+1

HSRPv6 gives you access to the "track" stuff which can be useful to have
more explicit control over how you failover and when.

In addition, HSRP packets flow between routers, not router->hosts. The
implications of missing a few RAs in a row with very short-lived RAs are
unclear, and possibly undesirable.

We use HSRPv6 on sup720 and are happy with it. We do however use "ipv6
nd prefix" to lower the prefix lifetime, because I think the RFC
defaults are absurd.