[c-nsp] IPv6 first-hop redundancy: short-lived RA or FHRP?

Oliver Garraux oliver at g.garraux.net
Tue Oct 23 22:40:28 EDT 2012

I've not done tons of testing with either option, but I'd be a lot
more comfortable with using an FHRP.

Given the issues / oddities that have been found with the IPv6 stacks
on various platforms, I would be somewhat hesitant to leave the
clients to make decisions about which gateway to use on their own.

I'd definitely be interested in hearing if anyone has extensively
tested using short-lived RA's for failover though.  Does failover work
reliably across most common OS's?

Oliver

Oliver Garraux
Check out my blog:  www.GetSimpliciti.com/blog
Follow me on Twitter:  twitter.com/olivergarraux