[c-nsp] Confused about Cisco IOS 12.2SRD removal of features - LNS broken?

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+cisconsp at eintellego.net
Wed Oct 24 01:18:17 EDT 2012

Hey all,

I have a LNS running c7200-advipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SRD4.bin.

I thought I would see the changes with SRD5,... then SRD8.

There is nothing unique in the later versions, but SRD4 is unique with:

----
Gateway Load Balancing Protocol (GLBP)
Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) Tunnel Keepalive
Integrated ISIS Point to Point Adjacency over Broadcast Media
IP Multicast Load Splitting across Equal-Cost Paths
IP SLAs - LSP Health Monitor with LSP Discovery
IPv6 - CNS Agents
IPv6 Multicast
IPv6 Switching: CEF/dCEF Support
IPv6 Switching: CEFv6 Switched Configured IPv6 over IPv4 Tunnels
Multi-VRF Support (VRF lite)
Multicast Subsecond Convergence
OSPF Stub Router Advertisement
Secure Shell SSH Version 2 Client Support
Secure Shell SSH Version 2 Server Support
Source Specific Multicast (SSM)
TACACS+
----

Which to me says that they have been removed from subsequent releases..

Why would they remove some of the above? VRF-Lite support??!?

When compared to SRE6, the following is unqiue:

----
ATM LANE Fast Simple Server Redundancy Protocol (LANE Fast SSRP)
Disabling LANE Flush Process
Flexible NetFlow
Inverse Multiplexing over ATM (IMA)
IP Multicast Load Splitting across Equal-Cost Paths
IP SLAs - LSP Health Monitor with LSP Discovery
IPv6 - CNS Agents
IPv6 Access Services: AAA Support for Cisco VSA IPv6 Attributes
IPv6 Access Services: AAA Support for RFC 3162 IPv6 RADIUS Attributes
IPv6 Access Services: PPPoA
IPv6 Multicast
IPv6 Services: DNS Lookups over an IPv6 Transport
IPv6 Switching: CEF/dCEF Support
IPv6 Switching: CEFv6 Switched Configured IPv6 over IPv4 Tunnels
IPv6 Switching: Provider Edge Router over MPLS (6PE)
IPv6: ICMPv6
IPv6: ICMPv6 Redirect
IPv6: Neighbor Discovery Duplicate Address Detection
L2VPN Pseudowire Switching
LANE dCEF
LANE Optimum Switching
Multi-VRF Support (VRF lite)
Multiprotocol over ATM (MPOA)
Multiprotocol over ATM for Token Ring (MPOA)
QoS over LANE
Secure Copy (SCP)
Secure Shell SSH Version 2 Client Support
Secure Shell SSH Version 2 Server Support
SSRP for LANE
TACACS+
Throttling of AAA (RADIUS) Records.
Token Ring LANE
----

With even more being removed... scp? Tacacs+? More IPv6? SSHv2?!?!

While there is a ton of NEW features in SRE6, one thing that seems to have
broken is the LNS code... but the features missing don't indicate it...

for some reason SRE7 isn't on the software advisor yet.

Unless some syntax has changed, the issue right now with SRE7 vs a config
from SRD4:

SRD4 working config:

vpdn-group PPPoE
! Default L2TP VPDN group
 description Generic PPPoE
 accept-dialin
  protocol pppoe
  virtual-template

SRE7 config paste failure:

lns02-new(config)#vpdn-group PPPoE
lns02-new(config-vpdn)#accept-dialin
lns02-new(config-vpdn-acc-in)#protocol ?
  any   Use any protocol
  l2tp  Use L2TP
  pptp  Use PPTP

lns02-new(config-vpdn-acc-in)#protocol pppeo
                                                   ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

syd01bs04-lns02-new(config-vpdn-acc-in)#

----

So unless they've removed pppoe, or moved it to 'any'???

Anyone have any ideas what is going on?
*

*
*Skeeve Stevens, CEO - *eintellego Pty Ltd
skeeve at eintellego.net ; www.eintellego.net

Phone: 1300 753 383; Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; skype://skeeve

facebook.com/eintellego ;  <http://twitter.com/networkceoau>
linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/networkceoau ; blog: www.network-ceo.net

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco – IBM - Brocade - Cloud
-----
Check out our Juniper promotion website for Oct/Nov!  eintellego.mx
Free Apple products during this promotion!!!