[c-nsp] LX GBIC at half duplex?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Oct 24 04:44:58 EDT 2012

On 10/24/2012 07:23 AM, Saku Ytti wrote:
> On (2012-10-23 22:06 -0500), Tony Varriale wrote:
>
>> None of GBIC will do half duplex IIRC.  And, they won't do subrate.
>> The negotiate is there to appease the other end if it tries.
>
> This is painfully common misconception. So some, even serious SPs tend to
> have standard of disabling autonego and forcing links.

Agreed. Tragic, really.

On the plus side, autoneg is mandatory in later versions of the specs
(1000Tx, 10g) IIRC, so maybe this nonsense will finally die?

FWIW, in a historical inversion I note that some platforms have
difficulty *disabling* autoneg these days; IIRC one or more the ASR9k
linecards can't - we had to help a provider co-located in our space,
after $FORMER_GOVT_TELCO (ahem) replaced a CPE and forgot to toggle
autoneg from "off" (their default) to "on", and the link wouldn't come
up. I slung a crappy 100meg switch in as a 2-port bridge to tide them over.

It's exactly *that* kind of nonsense that suggests autoneg should be on,
everywhere, full stop.

The only places we disable autoneg in our network are to connect to same
$FORMER_GOVT_TELCO, which makes me sad :o(