[c-nsp] MTU monitoring

Gregoire Huet gregoire.huet at ip-max.net
Wed Oct 24 04:51:15 EDT 2012

Sorry i was not so clear :

>> Has anyone a problematic of changing MTU ? We have some links we cannot
>> really trust MTU-wise,

> What does that mean?

Sometimes, on a pair of links, we have experienced some MTU changes.
The underlying L2 circuit's path might change into the provider network,
using pathes with different MTUs.

>> and we would like to monitor that the currently configured MTU is
>> honored. Is there any possible trick with 'ip sla' ? Other ways ?

>Depending on what it is you want to test (which is not clear from your
email).

We have a contractual MTU, which is low. We would like to use a higher one, as it's
most of the time available on the provider network.

As the MTU changes don't happen that often, i was wondering if there was a way
to use the highest possible value, but get an alarm as soon as this MTU value
is not honored anymore by the service provider.

Thanks
Greg