[c-nsp] LX GBIC at half duplex?

Tony Varriale tvarriale at comcast.net
Wed Oct 24 21:51:27 EDT 2012

On 10/24/2012 1:23 AM, Saku Ytti wrote:
> On (2012-10-23 22:06 -0500), Tony Varriale wrote:
>
>> None of GBIC will do half duplex IIRC.  And, they won't do subrate.
>> The negotiate is there to appease the other end if it tries.
> This is painfully common misconception. So some, even serious SPs tend to
> have standard of disabling autonego and forcing links.
Actually, it's not.  This conversation was in reference to the media
converter.  I should have been more clear.

Most are dumb devices that don't do much other than create headaches.
See the OP for an example.

> Autonego gives other benefits than agreeing on duplex. Like it is used for
> RFI (remote fault indication) signalling, which will prevent issues where
> one side is up and another side is up.
See above.

> Also autonego can communicate that remote end was shutdown
> administratively, even hardware today supports this, but I've not seen any
> vendor implement it in software. I think it would be kinda nice to see in
> syslog, if remove has been shutdown operationally or not.
Typically, you will not have that benefit through a media converter.

> It's shame 802.3 is so very very hard to follow, some professional from
> industry who knows the standard and has built devices which interoperate
> should do some write up in wikipedia to clear up on what ethernet can do
> and specifically why autonego is good.
Sounds like you are off to a great start!  I would like to see a media
converter section, too :)  Especially since they do not follow anything
other than rough interface shapes.

tv