[c-nsp] IPv6 Unique Local Address Routing Issue

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Mon Sep 10 16:56:53 EDT 2012

If you are using ULA please be sure to use the correct procedure to generate a /48 and register the /48 subnet with SixXS.  This keeps ULA unique.
Having added that caveat, unless there is a compelling reason you should use GUA addresses.
A /48 of GUA space is easy to get, usually the default minimum allocation from an upstream.
It provides 65536 subnets.  Dot1q only supports 4096 subnets per switching environment.

RFC6296 provides the spec for NTPv6 and recommends AGAINST NAT.
This is probably the only RFC that standardizes something while recommending that it never be used.

Mack McBride
Network Architect