[c-nsp] Cisco 12008 8/40 Gigabit Link

root net rootnet08 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 19:08:27 EDT 2012

Hello,

Had a buddy who said he could send us a 8/40. This long term would be
better than our 7200VXR routers. Thinking about a solution without having
to upgrade to ASR for now.

Want some thoughts on the following:

1. Need to be able to handle full 1 Gigabit of transit (and backup link of
200Meg) at some point or at least a 2.5 Gbps connection total at some point
as the highest ever pushed.
2. Need to be able to handle full BGP table IPv4/IPv6 (IPv4 from 1, IPv6
from 2)
3. Would be quite light on ACL, QoS and maybe a tunnel or two for MPLS
that's it.

The GRP-B only have 512MB of ram so full tables going to be possibly out of
the question. I know we could possibly filter down but really want to run
full table.
The PRP-1 which we could max out at 2GB of ram
The PRP-2 which we could max out at 4GB of ram

Would we need to install 5 SFCs?

Do you think long term this router could work as we believe max capacity we
would need is around 2.5Gbps period for this router?
Could we start out with GRP-B and run full tables for IPv4 and IPv6 with
possibly 200Megs being pushed over transit?

We know at some point we will need to move to the XR or ASR series.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks