[c-nsp] Best Ipam software?

Gustav.Ulander at steria.se Gustav.Ulander at steria.se
Thu Sep 13 06:09:56 EDT 2012

Thanks for some great feedback.

I looked into the NOC project also but found the instructions rather
lacking if you dont do russian.
IPPlan is on our list for further tests then.
Thanks a bunch.

Bästa hälsningar / Best regards,

Gustav Uhlander
Communication & Infrastructure Engineer

Steria AB
Kungsbron 13
Box 169
SE-101 23  Stockholm
Sweden

Tel: +46 8 622 42 15
Fax: +46 8 622 42 23
Mobile: +46 70 962 71 03
gustav.ulander at steria.se
www.steria.se

From:   Christian Meutes <christian at errxtx.net>
To:     Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org>, cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net, Josh
Coleman <jcoleman at centauricom.com>
Date:   2012-09-13 09:50
Subject:        Re: [c-nsp] Best Ipam software?
Sent by:        cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net

Sup,

On Sep 12, 2012, at 10:18 PM, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:

> I use netdot myself.  It's unashamedly web 1.0.  It won't do overlapping
> subnets and there are some aspects of it which need some work, but I
find
> it to be very good (I'm the freebsd port maintainer for netdot).  If
you're
> on linux, best to use one of the VM images to get this installed and
> working.  Alternatively, the freebsd port works well.

Using it under Debian. It's not just IPAM, it's also kind of Asset
Management,
discovers all kind of information from your devices via snmp like mac &
arp
entries which in turn resolve internally to adjacent devices/interfaces,
you
can see chains of neighbors, interfaces, routes and all the other h/w
stuff.

Connected subnets don't need to be added manually as it will fill your
database inside of "containers" automatically.

Written in mod_perl it's fast and "easily" adaptable.

I tried also IPplan and some others, most of them are very immature.

So for me it's
netdot++