[c-nsp] VLAN Interfaces and ACLs on a 7600....am I losing my mind?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Sep 17 01:25:44 EDT 2012

On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:32:10 PM John Neiberger
wrote:

> I opened up a TAC case on this and they immediately knew
> what the problem was. We have "platform ip features
> sequential" configured because of the way we use DSCP.
> However, that causes incoming packets to be recirculated
> through whatever processes it runs them through, which
> has the side effect of running them through the SVI.
> Since the SVI has an ACL, that ACL applies to all L2
> traffic on the VLAN if we have "platform ip features
> sequential" configured. I removed it for testing and
> everything immediately began to work. The solution is to
> add a permit statement for traffic staying with the
> VLAN.

I have seen this behaviour on ME3600X's running FCS code, in
a core switching role where the SVI's are used primarily for
management access to the switches.

We found that traffic which was being migrated from private
to public addresses sometimes failed when crossing these
core switches, as we were filtering RFC 1918 address space
from being able to access the management interface of these
switches (IP). What was interesting is that all the blocked
traffic was transit (Layer 2) traffic, and yet the switch
acted on Layer 3 information for the payload.

Fixing the ACL's was the solution. I did open a case with
our SE, but I've since left the company and haven't followed
up.

I will add that the ME3600X did not support the 'platform ip
features sequential' command, unless its capability was
implied, which I'd find off.

Mark.