[c-nsp] IOS and BGP Cease Notification Messages

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Tue Sep 18 01:26:34 EDT 2012

Martin,

>as I have understood, graceful way to disable BGP peer under IOS is to
>execute "neighbor <IP address> remote-as <ASN> shutdown" command under
>"router bgp <ASN>" configuration. I made such simple setup for testing
>this: http://i.imgur.com/phzvY.png  In case I execute "neighbor
>10.10.10.68 remote-as 65002 shutdown" in "Cisco_R2" I can see in
>"Cisco_R1" log(logging buffered 32000 informational) following log
>entry:
>
>*Sep 17 16:14:18.744: %BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor 10.10.10.69 Down Peer
>closed the session
>
>This nicely indicates that other peer closed the session. Am I correct
>that in case I execute "neighbor 10.10.10.68 remote-as 65002
>shutdown", the 10.10.10.69 router sends BGP cease(explained here:
>http://www.net-gyver.com/?p=1241) message to 10.10.10.68? For some
>reason I was not able to detect those messages even with "debug ip bgp
>all" running both in "Cisco_R1" and "Cisco_R2". Any ideas why? In
>addition, is it somehow possible to manually specify which cease code
>to send? For example one would like to send Cease 6/3(peer
>de-configured) to a BGP neighbor- is this possible?

Unfortunately IOS doesn't currently send CEASE in such a case, it just
closes the session.. There is a DDTS open which documents this, but it
hasn't been worked on yet (CSCds06069 - BGP: Router should send CEASE
NOTification when admin shutdown). IOS-XR does send it, but this doesn't
help you :-|

	oli