[c-nsp] 7600 SUP720-3B PBR

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Sep 18 13:08:00 EDT 2012

On 18/09/12 17:56, harbor235 wrote:
> My google fu has not turned up anything definitive on the 7600 PBR
> performance, is it done in hardware

Hardware as long as you stick to supported match/set commands in the
route-map.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but IIRC some combinations can
punt to software. See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/release/notes/features.html

...and search for "PBR".

See also:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/110694

> or is it down in software? With or without DFCs. Can anyone provide any
> insight into sup720 PBR performance?

All forwarding is done on a DFC if present (modulo some weird stuff).

Performance should be line-rate if you're doing "normal" PBR. I'm not
aware of any reason it would be slower.

> My feeling is if we enable PBR it may negatively impact the box, assume PBR
> related bandwidth to exceed 100M

I doubt it.