[c-nsp] VMware teaming Nic's and multiple switches

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Sep 19 18:40:26 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-09-19 at 15:24 -0700, Scott Voll wrote:
> What if you have all the VM Nic's are setup as Trunks so the VMware
> team can place the new VM's on the network that is needed?  Does that
> affect any of this?  Currently I have a 4506E and was planning on
> either a stack of 3750's or another 4506E.  Thoughts?

As long as they make sure the vSwitch does not alternate between
physical links for the same guest you're fine. Our trunks generally look
like this (from a 3560X):

interface GigabitEthernet0/3
 description (Unused VMware port)
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 100-299,800-899
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport nonegotiate
 link state group 1 downstream
 storm-control broadcast level pps 250
 spanning-tree portfast trunk
 spanning-tree bpduguard enable
!

If most of your traffic is to/from somewhere beyond the first set of
switches, i.e. you don't expect a lot of communication between guests on
VMware servers connected to the same switches, you should probably
consider not stacking the 3750, should you choose to use those. Look in
the archives for possible reasons for this.

--
Peter