[c-nsp] VMware teaming Nic's and multiple switches

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Sep 20 04:20:57 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:13:22AM +0200, Peter Rathlev wrote:
> You might not need MLAGs though. We run many stand-alone trunks from
> 3750 and 3560 switches to VMware ESX hosts and let the vSwitch on the
> host spread out the guests between these links and take care of
> failover.

Since there seems to be more knowledge about vSwitch here than in
"vmware admin" circles... is there documentation on how vSwitch chooses
which link to activate?

It's easy if one of the physical links goes down ("do not use that!"),
but I'm thinking more about the uplink network getting partitioned, or
one of the uplink switches failing in interesting ways (link still up,
but no packets get forwarded anymore).  In Linux bonding, I can do that
by having the bonding driver send out ARP requests & monitor incoming

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de