[c-nsp] 2900 -> 2960 config question

Joseph Mays mays at win.net
Fri Sep 21 10:48:29 EDT 2012

Well, I did the switch from the 2900 to the 2960, everything works fine except for one thing...

Port 22 on the original switch is set to be a vlan trunk that links to another switch (sw2, also a 2900XL) in another building with a different set of vlans on it.

interface FastEthernet0/22
 description Trunk to sw2.dist.win.net
 duplex full
 speed 100
 switchport access vlan 22
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,201-224,1002-1005
 switchport mode trunk
 no cdp enable

One the new switch the config is the same except, of course, the encaps line is gone.

interface FastEthernet0/22
 description Trunk to sw2.dist.win.net
 duplex full
 speed 100
 switchport access vlan 22
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,201-224,1002-1005
 switchport mode trunk
 no cdp enable

The client on the remote switch, vlan 202, does not work through the new switch. On sw2 the uplink port is port 5, the client is on port 6.

interface FastEthernet0/5
 description Trunk port to sw1.dist.win.net
 duplex full
 speed 100
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,201-224,1002-1005
 switchport mode trunk
 no cdp enable
!
interface FastEthernet0/6
 description Reese Design Collaborative, 600 Distillery Ste 200
 switchport access vlan 202
 spanning-tree portfast
 no cdp enable

On the old switch they have no problem pinging their gateway address, the vlan interface on the router. On the new switch, they cannot.

I don't know what might be causing this, unless something about the vlan database is not created by cutting and pasting the config from the 2900XL to the 2960.