[c-nsp] Cisco 12008 8/40 Gigabit Link

Anton Kapela tkapela at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 08:22:10 EDT 2012

On Sep 11, 2012, at 11:34 PM, root net <rootnet08 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've also been reading that we would want
> Engine 3 as you mention but I think Engine 2 would work too. What do you
> think?

If you have any aspirations to move to XR across the board, engine 0
and 3 are supported. Assuming 12.0S has what you need feature wise,
then those will work. Be advised there are some sore spots with
control plane access control on various e2/4/+ as many of these
designs existed for "time to market" purposes, not "implements all the
things correctly."

I echo others in suggesting asr1001 or perhaps the asr9001, if you need 10g.

7201 might also handle your needs, too.

Lastly, a used 6503 + 7203bxl + some leftover 6548-g-tx or 6516a-gbic
runs about 8k, or so eBay tells me. Classic bus 16 port gbic blade
would even do you line-rate, all ports, too.

SX train has you covered for "features" and this actually has some
years of support left, minimally many more than GSR.

-Tk