[c-nsp] server room clearances

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Sep 26 12:36:55 EDT 2012

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, harbor235 wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the requirements for rack clearances in all directions
> when building server rooms (too small for datacenter size)
> I  seem to remember 3 feet in any direction? Of course you have equipment
> may be different?

For front and back clearances, I go with however deep the cabinets are as
a minimum.  If the cabinet is 40" deep, you'd want at least that much room
to facilitate mounting/unmounting gear.

For relay racks, 3 feet front and back is probably the bare minimum you'd
want.

Side clearance would be determined by things like room size, rack
placement, airflow (front-to-back vs side-to-side), and any
legal/regulatory requirements (building/fire codes, ADA compliance, etc).

jms