[c-nsp] QoS and Router Originated Traffic

Ivan cisco-nsp at itpro.co.nz
Wed Sep 26 19:09:42 EDT 2012

Hi,

I have had a lot of similar feedback. I have found

* Changing the IP precedence via ""ip local policy route-map" doesn't
directly set the COS - the locally generated traffic doesn't have a 802.1q
header to contain the 802.1p bits.  Depending on the platform (and
probably other stuff) the IP precedence value may or may not end copied
into the 802.1p field when the exiting interface has 802.1q tagged
packets.

*Testing on ASR1K and 800 Series ISRs I have found that they don't copy
the IP precedence into the 802.1p field.  A 7600 with ES+ does.

*IPv6 NS and ND packets are marked with IP precedence 7.  On the 7600 the
"ip local policy route-map" doesn't work for these packets - it does work
for other IPv6 packets .

*The "ip local policy route-map" solution impacts RP traffic going out all
interfaces.  I only require a specific interface to have traffic marked in
a certain way.

*I would prefer to only modify the 802.1p bits while leaving the IP
precedence.

At this stage I am thinking the only way to achieve what I am looking for
is to set only the 802.1p bits using an additional device...

Ivan