[c-nsp] 1000BASE-BX

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 22:24:55 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Peter Rathlev <peter at rathlev.dk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 17:13 -0400, Tim Durack wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Blake Dunlap <ikiris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Yep that's exactly what u and d mean and why they are used.
>>
>> That's what I figured, but I've not found a reference anywhere.
>>
>> Didn't want to find out later that most people took U as meaning
>> facing towards Upstream or something stupid like that :-)
>
> That's actually what I'd think. It seems natural considering that the
> GLC-2BX-D, meant to be used in the aggregation equipment, is using down
> channels. Then U would used in the CPE as uplink.

General consensus is: D in the aggregation facing Downstream, U in the
CPE facing Upstream. This is also confirmed by Cisco documentation.

This particular scenario is a dark fiber Active Ethernet FTTX
deployment, with SFP on both sides, so D/U doesn't matter. I would
still like to follow normal deployment though.

Thanks for the input.

--
Tim:>