[c-nsp] Best way to analyse RADIUS accounting data

Josh Farrelly Josh.Farrelly at manukau.ac.nz
Thu Sep 27 23:09:54 EDT 2012

Hi all

Hopefully you'll excuse the fact this isn't explicitly a 'Cisco' question, but I figure people on the NSP list are the most likely to  have experience with accounting setups.

We have just implemented a Windows NPS solution to provide RADIUS authorisation for our WLAN users. The WLAN infrastructure also supports RADIUS accounting.

At this point in time, we're not collecting the data. That said, I'm quite interested in being able to pull this data and provide reports on daily/monthly usage per user.

Does anyone have any suggestions with regard to the best way to collate and analyse the data? Are any of these solutions able to pull data from an SQL database if we choose to use this method of logging (instead of to a text file on the NPS server for example)?

Any suggestions or pointers would be much appreciated. What I'm ultimately looking for is something semi-autonomous that can produce decent looking reports.

Kind Regards,

Josh Farrelly
Infrastructure Architect, ICTS.
Manukau Institute of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand