[c-nsp] how NAt works from outside to inside

Manuel 5k7k6rkrrc at snkmail.com
Mon Apr 1 11:16:29 EDT 2013

Hi Sam,
	This shouldn't be happening (as you are mentioning it).  So probably there are some details missing from your description that will explain this.
	How are you seeing the source and destination addresses of the ping packets? (debug in router? Sniffer in each host? Etc)
	What type are the ICMP packets? (you should be able to see this either on the sniffer or the debug... the types are: http://www.nthelp.com/icmp.html)

	Are the source and destination hosts PC's connected to the router? (or are you using loopback interfaces, etc)

	The following link might help you http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094c32.shtml

	By the way, I understand that when you change the Cisco router by a freebsd system the host (192.168.2.1) seems to receive the same packet reply but now the host acts differently... this is not possible... the host shouldn't be able to tell whether the packet was sent from a cisco router or a freebsd system (in both cases it receives src: 192.168.2.50----> dst:192.168.2.1 type=0 if it is a reply)... so we have something missing... if the host act differently the this are different packets...  (The only difference would be the MAC address of the freebsd system and the this should remind us of ARP but I won't go there if not required... this dependes on your answers to the questions above)

Regards,
Manuel