[c-nsp] Terminating lots of double-tagged vlans

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Wed Apr 17 15:47:18 EDT 2013

All,

I'm working on a project which uses GPON to connect tens of thousands of
properties in a fibre-to-the-home environment. Each property will be handed
off to me as a double-tagged vlan, one per property. Obviously I don't want
to manually create tens of thousands of subinterfaces on a router, and I'm
sure there's a better way of doing this.

What I'd come up with is that I'd "ignore" the inner tags, and just use the
outer S-Tag to put the properties into subnets (one per S-Tag), and then just
do DHCP. However, I'm not quite sure how I'd achieve this.

This is obviously a common problem for people to solve, so how do others sort
it out?

The devices I'd typically use include Cisco 6500/SUP720, ME3600, ASR1k, and
smaller stuff like the 3750/3560.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Simon